Our famous Beef Rendang Recipe
Nancy cooked beef rendang on This Morning TV.
See her in action here: Javanese Beef Rendang Recipe
8 dried chillies, soaked in hot water
3 cm galangal
2 cm ginger
2 stalks lemongrass
4 cm fresh turmeric root
10 shallots, peeled
2 cloves garlic, peeled
For the curry
500g rump steaks
3 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
2 stalks lemongrass, bruised
Dark brown sugar, to taste
100g unsweetened desiccated coconut, toasted
For the curry paste
1. Blend all the ingredients into a smooth paste and set aside.
For the curry
1. Cut the beef into five centimetre chunks. Put in a pan of water and bring to the boil. Drain and rinse off any bits that you don’t want.
2. Heat half the oil in a large pan or wok and fry the curry paste until it darkens a little and smells aromatic. Add the beef and stir-fry until browned.
3. Cover with water and bring to a simmer. Add the lemongrass, and salt and sugar to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Crumble in the block of coconut and simmer for another 30 minutes, or until the beef is tender and the sauce thick and reduced.
5. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the desiccated coconut until golden brown. Blend into a fine powder in a food processor and stir through the finished curry.
Serve with fluffy steamed rice. – http://www.itv.com/thismorning/food/fluffy-fragrant-rice/
1 cup of plain rice
1 cup of water
1. First wash the rice in water to reduce the amount of starch in the rice.
2. Add one cup of water to one cup of rice and place in a saucepan.
3. Cover the pan, place on hob, and then bring to the boil
4. After five minutes stir the rice and reduce the heat by half. Important: Do not open the pan again.
5. After ten minutes the rice should be fully prepared.
6. Place cooked rice into a ramekin and turn over onto a plate.
Good Luck with this Beef Rendang Recipe
Now Enjoy! x